This triangle icon is on the desktop. Click on it, double click on "Volunteers", double click on Artisan (the company that we bought our sales program from). All the info. below is in that folder, plus lots more advanced stuff for the techies out there!
Making a Basic Sale
All the following assumes that you are at the Cash Register screen in Artisan POS.
In most cases, italicized text is informational, not procedural.
- Customer comes to desk with one or more items to purchase.
- Ask if s/he is a member.
- If so, enter customer’s last name, select the correct record in the screen that comes up.
- Reason: So their record can be accessed, membership verified, and member discount can be applied.
- If not, ask if they would like to become a member. Show a membership signup card, explain benefits and categories of membership. If they agree, type M <enter> in the Item code, and select the appropriate membership level. The member discount applies to this sale, except for the membership itself. You may have to change the discount field for the membership from -5% to 0%.
- Ask what type(s) of payment is to be used: Anything other than cash, get name and phone number (unless person is a member, then we already have that info).
- Reason: For check or payment cards, we need a way to contact them if there is any issue with processing and payment. For gift certificates and store credits, the system has to access the proper records to account for the certificate redemption and any store credits.
Allowable payment types: Cash, personal or business check, credit or debit card, gift certificate, store credit. No third-party checks, counter checks, paychecks or gov’t issued checks such as Social Security.
- For cash and not a member, you can bypass entering name or other info by just clicking in the Name field and pressing Enter.
- Get the item code for a sale item from the tag or sticker. Enter the full item code, or enter the artist’s initials and press Enter. This will bring up a list of items that artist has for sale. If the item is not on the first page, go to the next page by pressing Pg Dn or clicking on the on-screen arrows. Click on the correct item, press Enter.
- Item code for classes is C- (find the right class, double click on it); D-Donate; GC-Gift Certificates (the customer needs to know who gave them the GC as it is listed under the buyer's name). EMERGENCY NOTE: Pat Kronoker bought 5 GC in Dec. The funds to pay for them didn't come thru, so they GC were deleted.
- Verify the price and description of the item, in the computer vs on the tag or sticker.
- Repeat steps 5 & 6 for all items. When done, press F10 to Finalize Sale. For anything except credit cards, click on Payment Type. EMERGENCY NOTE: the credit, debit reader isn't working, you need to click on payment type and type in ALL information. If you miss a piece, address, anything... the charge/ debit won't go thru.
- Cash – Click on F10, Payment Type, Cash, Save.
- Check – Click on F10, Payment Type, Check. Enter required info into the on-screen form that comes up, click Accept. If you get the red screen saying you didn’t enter all the data, press OK, then ctrl-i to get back to the check data entry screen, correct the omission, press Accept, Save. Stamp the AAV endorsement on back of check. The stamp is beside the cash drawer.
- Debit – Click on F10, Payment Type, Debit, swipe card (magnetic strip on card should face the green light on the swiper), have customer enter PIN using the VeriFone PINpad on the counter. Click on Process.
- Gift Certificate – Click on F10, Payment Type, Gift Certificate. It will show you a list of Gift Certificates, click on the correct one. Now it will show you any underpayment or overpayment.
- Overpayment – If under $5.00, issue cash refund. If over $5.00, issue Store Credit. Inform customer that they have that amount of Store Credit. You can write Redeemed across the Gift Certificate and keep it unless there is a Store Credit, then write on it “Redeemed” and “Store Credit” and the amount of credit and return it to customer.
- Underpayment – To pay the balance with Credit Card, do not click on Payment Type, just swipe the card as in paragraph f below. Otherwise, click on Payment Type, select the desired payment type, and follow instructions herein for that payment type.
- Store Credit – Click on F10, Payment Type, Store Credit. The store credit will show up if it is in the name of the customer. If it doesn’t show up, press F8 and see if it shows up. When you have it, proceed as indicated. Handle any underpayment or overpayment as in paragraph d above.
- For Credit Cards, do NOT click on Payment Type. Swipe the card in the card reader on the desk. The magnetic strip on the card should face the green light on the card reader. The data read off the card should appear on the screen. When you get a successful swipe, the machine will print the receipts. There is one for the customer to sign and two simple receipts, one to customer and one for us. Staple the signed receipt and the simple receipt together and keep. If you can’t get a good swipe, enter the data manually: Click on Payment Type, select the proper card type, enter the data and click Process.
The hand written description in the book (to the right of the computer) is essential. If you get everything right on this page and collect the money, the computer info. can be fixed at any time. SO, please take the time to write down every detail of the sale and any problems you had.
I can't find the item code!!!
*Identify the artist; type the artist vendor code (SLM is Sandra Michalik). A list of all her items will come up. You can click on the right one, or one that has the right price.
*Whatever, just make the sale.
*If you're flustered, at a loss. Just type in UNID (for unidentified item) and plug in the right price. If you need a manager clearance, type in 2sandra. THEN... when there are no customers you can call Sandra (734-355-4042) or Rose989-217-0997) to see how to fix and enter the right item.
*Leave a note on the reconciliation page no matter what... it's ok, you're learning!!!
I had to use UNID, now how to fix it
*Go to Operations Menu
*Select Recall Previously Saved Sale
*Click on the one that was UNID
*Click on the item, change to correct item code, save
*If you haven't yet posted, all is fine
*If you have posted you have to unpost, fix, then repost.... another thing to learn:-D
How to Unpost
*#1 Daily/ Monthly Sales
*#4 Unpost Previously Posted Sales
*Unpost that day vs. Unpost previous day
*BIG Warning…. Are you sure? Are you? Click Yes
*If not, call Sandra (734-355-4042) or escape and write a note on the reconciliation page.
*Then double click on date to unpost
*So, now you can go back to Operations Menu, select recall previously saved sale to make corrections.
*You have to pretend it is the end of the day and reprocess the day you fixed and repost:)
What if an item in on HOLD?
*On the Cashier Screen (where you sell something).... go to
*Operations Menu on the bottom of the screen
*#3 Recall Previously Saved Sale
* Find the sale on Hold, double click
*You'll see a split screen, with Hold at the top right
*Click on Finalize Sale on the bottom... it will release the sale so you can process it (cash, check or credit)
1. Enter item code as a normal sale.
2. Click on OPERATIONS MENU (bottom of screen)
*click on #5- LAYAWAY and other special sales
*click on #3- LAYAWAY
3. The screen for the customer name will appear.
* Type LAST Name
*If "No Records"; click on "Add New Record" at the bottom.
*Fill in first name, address and phone #
4. Click "FINALIZE SALE"
*Amount paid will default to 25% of the sale
*If customer wants to pay a different amount, retype the amount while the field is red
*Select Payment Type just like a normal sale
5. The sales slip will show the total amount, the amount they paid, and the outstanding balance.
6. When the customer returns to make an additional payment:
* Type last name in customer field
*The layaway slip will come up
*In the upper right corner is a green field headed "Payment"
*Click on top 0.00 and the outstanding balance will appear (dimly)
*Type in the amount of the payment and hit "Enter"
*Payment amount and new balance appear on the second line
7. Finalize sale as normal
*Again, the payment, original price, outstanding balance all appear on the sales slip
8. When the final payment is made, a screen says, "Layaway has been fully paid, has merchandise been given to customer?"